Thursday, December 6, 2012

Let there be LIGHT!

To say that the past week has been crazy is an understatement. It was my first week back to work and it was like READY. SET. GO! No turning back. I feel like the phone has been glued to my head and I am trying to figure out how to work full time, be a mamma and go to ever appointment for Riley and make sure I do everything in a timely manner (meaning FAST).

This week we had her evalation for First Steps. First Steps is the "early intervention" program through the state of Indiana. They will provide us with resources and hairing aids until she is 3 years old. Then she is into the school system (scary). This appointment is a whole post on its own. I think I had my first panic attack.

Yesterday we went to Fort Wayne to the Ophthalmology clinic to rule out any retinal abnormalities. This is important and usually first in the process because hearing loss and vision impairment can go hand and hand. This can rule out Usher's symdrome as of today. Usher's syndrome can develop over time, however the doctor seemed confident that this is not the case for Riley. PHEWWWW. I am so happy that her eye sight can back normal. They were able to dialate her eyes to tell her eye prescription and look at her retina. She is far sighted, which most babies are at her age, and her retina is perfect! You don't know how much of a relief that is. I have been driving myself crazy wondering if she can see, if her eye sight is developing. Such a relief.

Next step...hearing aids. She was fitted for hearing aids about 3 weeks ago but since this process has been taking so long I would like to get her fitted again. Her little ears grow at a fast rate and it is important that they fit perfectly. The process with First Steps is taking longer than I hoped but I pray that we have hearing aids in her ears by the time she is three months.

This week has been stressful and we are really looking forward to the weekend. All three of us.

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment