Thursday, March 27, 2014

To my first born....

My Sweet Riley Mae,

I sit here an begin to type and think about everything I wish I could put int this letter. In 20 short days you will no longer be an only child; we will be bringing another loving piece of this family in the world. In 20 short days your life will change forever. You will never know the difference, you will never know what life was like without your sister at your hip- but I will. I always will.

There's a part of me that wonders how I could ever love another child like I love you. How on earth can my heart fit all of that love into my life? I have heard time and time again that it just does. All your children fit into your life like a puzzle, that with so much prayer, came together just as it should. You are by far by biggest accomplishment so far; there is no degree or success at work that will ever compare to how proud I am of you.. You are my first born and that will never change. You made me a mommy. I can't remember my life not being your mommy.

This past eighteen months has been the scariest, most painful, happy, most awesome time of my life. The challenges you have already over came lets me know that one day you will walk at my front door and be able to stand up to anything that comes your way. Stay sweet. Don't let the world change that. Don't let the bitterness of a situation ever take away your sweetness. Sometimes I wonder how you are my daughter because you are the sweetest, happiest, little social butterfly I know; How did I get so lucky?

I know you are my angel, you're our miracle baby.  God sent  us a message that struggle or challenges doesn't come from things we create- they come from things out of our control. Overcoming obstacles that are out of our control make us who he intended us to be. They make us stronger. Wiser.  I wouldn't change one thing about our life with you right now. Every day I hear a new sound come out of your mouth makes every day more rewarding with you.

I know that you will be the best big sister that Emerson could ever imagine. I'm sure that one day when you are teenagers you may want to trade her in for a newer version,  then just before you know it, you can't live your life without her; your best friend. Between the slumber parties, tea parties, dance recitals, boyfriend stealing, hair pulling and clothes stealing, you will wonder how your life would ever be normal without her. I never had a sister but I hear from so many people that sisters are the best gift in the world. That their sister is and will always be their best friend. I wish that for you two. I pray that life makes you different but still puts you on the same path.

Riley, we love you more than you will ever know;  More than spring time; More than chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream; and certainly more than a nice new pair of shoes! Here's to a new adventure for all of us.






1 comment:

  1. Very good. I think we have all learned from Ms. Mae about overcoming obstacles.

    ReplyDelete