Monday, May 6, 2013

From Newlyweds to Newly...Parents

Josh and I have not really been married that long, well this year will be 3 years for us. I know couples that are not even engaged and have known each other longer than Josh and I have. Our lives are in like fast forward. Ever since we met each other it has been fast and furious.

We met. Fell in love. Got engaged in one year. Got married within that year. Moved. Became parents. Yup, thats how fast our lives are. Now that Riley is here, do we want to slow everything down? Not a chance. We want another baby, we want to redo the house, I want a new job, a new car, a new everything.

You see, Josh and I are very different, but very much alike. He is very sweet, a people person, a social butterly. Me, sometimes you have to get to know me to love me. I try to feel people out first. He just loves everyone. I am the fly at your seat kind of girl. He likes to calm down and take things one day at a time. He is the clean one. I'm...well I'm not organized (I have a problem).

Before we were parents we could do whatever we wanted. We stayed in bed, slept in if we wanted. Went out with friends to all hours of the night. Had lazy movie days and watch movies ALL DAY LONG in the basement. People tell you that your life is about to change. You may think it is about the love you have for your child, but it is also about your marriage. Your family. Everything.

From husband and wife...to mommy and daddy

Now Riley fills our life with joy and happiness every day. Our lives are forever changed and there is no more josh and I. Everything we do or think includes Riley Mae. Parenting is hard sometimes, especially when you don't know what your doing. There is a lot of "what do you think? "what should we do", "should we do this"?. Some nit picking, some argueing, some space.

Now that Riley is 7 months, we kind of have our routine together. Josh gets her up, I get her dressed (of course), Josh makes her food for the day, and I take her to daycare. At we have the same routine except Josh gives her a bath every night...it's his thing. Now that we have a groove, it's time to focus back on us. I realize that he does a lot during the week with work and Riley, so I do more on the weekends so he can get caught up or just relax. It is all a give and take.

We both realize that parenting takes 110% percent of your time but you need to make time for one another. I want Riley to see her mama and dad together, in love and spending as much time together as possible. We realize this and also realize we have been extremely bad at it. Some of the steps we are taking to better our marriage:

1. We started a "i love you because" chalkboard frame. We write why we love each other on a daily or weekly basis. Mine this week is " because you do the yardwork:)"

2. We need a datenight. Even if it is a date night in when Riley goes to sleep. Just because she goes to sleep doesn't mean we have to. One night he will plan, and one night I will plan.

3. Date night OUT. Yes! This is important. Ask the MIL to watch Riley while we go on a date night.
Even if we have to get a sitter. We are going on one this Friday and I can't wait.

4. Stay up and just chat. We usually spend the last hour of our day in bed talking or watching some show like Duck Dynasty or Big Bang Theory on TV. It sort of what we do. We hang out in bed and talk about our day. Our plans.

This is just the start of us becoming husband and wife again. We are going to have sunday dinners together as a family and continue to grow. A strong connection is what is going to keep our family thriving and growing (wink, wink).


No comments:

Post a Comment